Wedding grants can be a big help for couples who are planning to tie the knot but have limited funds for the needed expenses. According to Smart Money’s recent survey report, it stated that total wedding expenses usually range from 21 to 40 thousand dollars in the US.
Thinking about expenses alone can get you exhausted, what more with the preparations? If you want to make your wedding less expensive and memorable, maybe it’s time to avail yourself of a wedding grant. In this article, we will share resources that will help you find a suitable wedding grant for your needs.
What are Wedding Grants?
Wedding grants are a type of grant usually funded by non-profit organizations or companies to couples with certain circumstances. For example, if a partner is terminally ill or has a disability, then the couple can be qualified for a wedding grant. Most wedding grants may cover the following expenses depending on the program description:
- MC fee
- Venue decorations
- Photographer and videographer
- Makeup and hairdresser
There are a lot of wedding grant programs nowadays, and all you have to do is to be wise enough to search for one. To help you with your search, we listed down tips and resources on how to get a wedding grant which will be discussed later in this article.
Who are the Qualified Applicants?
Most organizations and companies offer wedding grants to those:
- Couples who are in unusual circumstances like being terminally ill or disabled.
- Couples with children who belong to low-income families.
- Couples who have other illnesses that make daily life difficult.
Where to Find?
Looking out for wedding grants can be a bit tricky considering that most organizations require a load of requirements before being qualified. Fortunately, various organizations initiate wedding grant programs you might want to try so that you can cut down your expenses for your big day. These resources include the following:
The government does not usually initiate wedding grants per se, but some of their existing programs may help lessen your expenses on your wedding. Here are the best government resources where you can get assistance for your wedding.
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) - This program aims to help families who belong to low-income families to become self-sufficient. TANF also promotes healthy marriage and family relationships. To do that, this program provides grant assistance to qualified families. If you are a couple with children who are planning to get married, you can avail of TANF grants.
To be eligible for a TANF grant, applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Applicant must be pregnant or has a child dependent.
- Unemployed or a minimum wage earner.
- Belonging to low to very low-income families.
- A legal citizen of the US.
Office of the Family Assistance (OFA) - OFA is another government organization that aims to help poor families, especially children. This organization is also known for helping couples who belong to low-income communities and want to get married.
Some organizations offer wedding grants to deserving couples. These organizations include:
Wish Upon A Wedding - This is one of the renowned resources of wedding grants and assistance programs for ill and physically disabled couples. You need to meet some qualification requirements though. Requirements are as follows:
- In every couple, one should be terminally ill or in a life-threatening circumstance for no longer than five years.
- Couples should be 18 years old or above.
- Both must be legal US citizens.
- The application form must be personally filled out by you or your caregiver.
Note: Family members or friends are not allowed to fill out the form for you. Learn more about Wish Upon a Wedding.
Wedding Grants for Scholarships
There are also wedding scholarship programs available:
- Hitched Wedding Scholarship Program - This wedding grant is suitable for graduate and undergraduate students who live in Canada, US, or UK. Hitched wedding scholarships prioritize students majoring in English, Journalism, Fashion Design, or Creative writing. The primary requirement includes writing a 600 - 800 word essay or blog post about a topic related to weddings.
- Orla James Wedding Scholarship Program - This is another wedding scholarship for high school seniors, graduate, and undergraduate students. To apply for the program, you need to pass an article/essay talking about a certain topic related to marriage.
Other Ways to Minimize Wedding Expenses
Aside from the different programs mentioned above, there are also other ways to finance your wedding wisely. These include the following:
- Join Wedding Contests - Contests like the Oprah Winfrey Show often give wedding gifts to winners such as gowns, cakes, honeymoons, etc. Though contests are different from grants, joining wedding contests may help you cut down expenses. For example, say you joined a contest and won a honeymoon trip to somewhere special, this means you no longer have to include honeymoon expenses on your wedding plans because it’s already sponsored. So it’s crucial to stay on the lookout for wedding contests both in your locality or in a different state.
- Getting a sponsor - Getting a sponsor is also a good way to find someone to help finance your wedding. In exchange, you will need to find a way to advertise your sponsor’s services or products. An example would be putting on their logo on your gown, tables, chairs, or other decoratives. Couples with high social media engagement have more potential to get their wedding sponsored. You don’t have to be an influencer or artist though, all you have to do is to think outside the box and be creative enough to possibly increase your wedding guests.
Planning for a wedding can be hectic and exhausting considering all the expenses and preparations needed to be dealt with. Expenses alone can even take a huge toll on the couple. Fortunately, there are various organizations that couples can rely on if they fall short of wedding funds.